Sunday 25 January 2009

Glaucous-winged Gull

Pity this wasn't taken in Cleveland, UK..... I had some moderate success with this species on the trip, with birds noted at Santa Monica, an immature on Hawaii (where any gull species is rare) and several in San Francisco. This adult, was photographed in San Francisco on the waterfront on 9th January 2009; it superficially resembles the bird that was in Cleveland at the very same time - heavily streaked head of winter adult with nice grey primaries and bright pink legs. For those regular readers of this blog you may well have noted that this species was predicted to turn up this winter way back in November (see this post) - however, it had a bit of a cheek to do so when I was out of the UK!! (I dipped it twice upon return...) Nevertheless, a great species that I expect to become available again in the UK... I hope!

No comments: