Monday 24 January 2011

Off to the pub...


I spent some time photographing an obliging flock of waxwing this afternoon. Feeding on an apple tree in the Burton House pubs' car park, the car was utilised as a hide. The only available parking space was virtually under the tree, so the angle for shooting was restricted to one branch that was a bit too close for the hand-held 500mm - however, there was a nice conifer providing a green background.

As the sun went in and out, the lighting became interesting...


Number-wise the flock was tricky to count, there were certainly 37, maybe 47 ~ my count was never the same as the birds flew in and out! A single male blackcap was also feeding on the apples.

3 comments:

Citybirding said...

Super Waxing images John!

Crammy Birder said...

I had the same problem they never stayed still long enough for me to count them. I had the Blackcap as well

James said...

Some stunning images John